Level 2 Certificate in Self-harm and Suicide Awareness and Prevention
This qualification is aimed at anyone seeking to improve their understanding of self-harm and suicide awareness and prevention . The knowledge individuals will gain is not sector-specific but can be applied to a broad range of personal and professional situations.
Individuals who may find this course useful to their professional life include; teachers, mental health workers, crisis helpline volunteers, support workers, individuals in a safeguarding role, parents or guardians, and others working with individuals who may be at increased risk of self-harm or suicide.
Unit 1: Introduction to suicide and self-harm awareness
- Section 1: Understand what is meant by self-harm and suicide
- Section 2: Understand the triggers which might cause someone to self-harm or attempt suicide
- Section 3: Understand media and societal attitudes to self-harm and suicide
Unit 2: Recognising the signs of suicide and self-harm in individuals
- Section 1: Signs, thoughts, feelings and behaviour
- Section 2: Understand how to initially approach someone who may be self-harming or considering suicide
Unit 3: The principles of suicide and self-harm prevention
- Section 1: Understand the role of conversation in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
- Section 2: Understand the importance of family and friend support in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
- Section 3: Know support and treatment options available to individuals and families in relation to self-harm and suicide
Unit 4: Support for individuals when dealing with grief after suicide
- Section 1: Understand the role of suicide prevention campaigns
- Section 2: Understand the importance of encouraging healthy coping strategies
- Section 3: Understanding grief following suicide and the impact it can have on individuals
- Section 4: Understand the reach of grief following suicide
- Section 5: Understand the importance of support for those affected by grief following suicide
The benefits of this course include:
- You will gain a nationally recognised qualification
- This course is delivered via distance learning, allowing you to choose when and where you study
- Study will enhance both your personal skills and professional development
- Personal Tutors are assigned to you to ensure that they have the support needed to succeed.
8-12 weeks average course length
Online learning materials with online assessment
To be eligible for funding you must be aged 19 or over, have been living in the European Union for the last 3 years and have not previously completed the course you are wanting to enrol on.
If you do not complete the course, you may be liable to a £100 resource and registration fee.